Friday, April 9, 2010

The Coupon Conundrum

First off, I want to mention that I am an organized person. I do my best to keep on top of things. My house is pretty organized  (I do have a few "junk drawers" but who doesn't?), I am task-orientated, I try to be punctual for everything...you get my point.

However, I am awkward and unorganized when it comes to using coupons, gift cards and things of this nature. I can't tell you how many times I leave coupons at home when I have every intention of using them on a shopping trip.

Yesterday, for example, I went to Kohl's with Bean (Noodle was at preschool). I wanted to look around and see what they had for the spring season. I had received a recent discount coupon in the mail and brought it along. I spent about 40 minutes in the store. I purchased two pairs of capris and a shirt. I was super excited about the sale prices, and to top it off I had another 15% off discount to use before I paid. Whoo Hoo!

A little later in the afternoon, I called DH to touch base. I told him how the day was going and was giddy about my purchases at Kohl's. After I get through explaining the sale prices and savings, I also told him I got one pair of capris in TWO sizes smaller (much to my amazement!).  He then said, Did you use your gift card?

And just like that the air in my sail began to fade... NO! Dang it! How did I forget about that?! I was so mad at myself. On Sunday my parents gave me a $25 gift card to Kohl's for Easter, and already I forgot to use it! I seem to do this over and over again! I spent most of the afternoon ticked at myself. I thought... I could go back return everything, repurchase it and use the discount AND the gift card. No, that's just ridiculous and I don't have time! I talked myself right out of it.

You see, I do this ALL THE TIME. Back in January, I decided I was going to become more organized with coupons, discount cards and gift cards. After failing at it miserably for years, I got an expandable file to keep track of all of it.


I use the labels.


I make an effort to go through it every month, too.

And you know what is the most disgusting part of it all is? The gift card was in this file which was in my car during my visit to Kohl's. Ugh!

For some reason, I can't get my brain to focus and remember these things. I did something similar last week at the grocery store. I bought two packages of rice because I had a coupon, and thought I should use it before it expires. I didn't need both packages at this moment, but we eat rice regularly so I went ahead and bought both since it was a good savings. I didn't realize I forgot to give the cashier the coupon until I got home. What is my problem?

I actually follow a great blog that is all about coupons and savings. I visit it frequently and I am on the daily e-mail blast. I am not sure why because I am terrible at managing coupons and making a plan of where to go for the best deals. I find the blog fascinating and inspirational, I just can't execute any of it worth a darn.

Any suggestions? Is there any hope for me? I'd love to be able to stretch a dollar, but unfortunately my dollars are made out of paper and not elastic!

Sami

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any advice for you unfortunately but I can let you know you aren't alone. I try to be super organized on my coupons but I am just terrible at it. I am truly amazed at some of those people out there that have couponing down to an art. I don't think I will ever be there because I ALWAYS forget the coupons I have. I blame it on "mommy brain"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one who can't manage coupons and gift cards. I agree that coupon clipping is an art and I lack the ability! The other day I actually remembered to use 2 coupons at the grocery store. I was so proud of myself!

    ReplyDelete