Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The first post is probably the hardest....

Welcome to The Mark of Motherhood (The MOM)! I am very excited to get The MOM up and running. The purpose of this blog is to discuss various topics and issues related to motherhood. I have envisioned this blog for more than a year so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't a complete flop!

I have found it difficult to come up with a great topic or story for my first post. I have several ideas but I keep telling myself I'll use that one later.... It isn't a good first post. As you might imagine, I am putting a lot of pressure on myself (in typical mom fashion, of course)!

Well, enough of paralysis by analysis! My first post is going to explain the conception of this blog. It's always good to give followers some context and background. I will list just a few reasons for starting The MOM.

Reason # 1: I love blogging and I want to share my stories and follow other bloggers' experiences during this incredible journey called motherhood. Some of us have support networks among family members, friends and co-workers. I think an online network can be just as helpful to connect with other mothers. I believe blogs can offer honest discussion and insight, more than you might get from a friend over a cup of coffee.


Reason # 2: I want to serve as an informant and maybe sometimes an educator. I don't plan to give teaching lessons (well, at least not any formal ones)! Rather, I want to share information and news that I think are important for moms and women to know about. If I do go into a teaching moment, I'll try to make the lesson a little more interesting than the one in this clip from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Does anyone remember the teacher's name? Anyone? Anyone?


Just so you get the idea, I will share an example of me in the informant role...

A few months ago I was walking out of GapKids at our local shopping district when I saw a mom strolling her baby in a recently recalled Maclaren stroller. Maclaren recalled several models due to severing the fingers of at least a dozen children (Yikes!). I went up to the mom and felt pretty confident she was going to think I was a little crazy, but I felt compelled to say something. ...  

I am sorry to bother you, I said in a calm voice. I just wanted you to know, in case you aren't aware, that Maclaren recently announced a massive recall on their strollers. I don't mean to alarm you. I feared I was going to send her into panic mode.

She replied, Yes, I knowOur repair kit is on the way. Thank you.
Huh? I couldn't decide whether she appreciated my candid approach or not. As I reflected on her response while walking away, I felt dumbfounded as to why she knowingly had her child sitting in a recalled stroller. Perhaps she was the crazy one after all!

In addition, I have much to learn from my followers. This is why I encourage you to send me an e-mail or post comments. I love healthy discussion on various topics related to motherhood.

Reason # 3: I enjoying sharing stories (see above), attempting to be humorous, and recommending products, books and ideas with others. An example... After the birth of my oldest daughter, I did a lot of trial and error with baby products, parenting tactics and everything else you could imagine. When I found something I liked and worked for us, I wanted to tell every mom I knew about my discovery. Probably because I felt a sense relief, but I also wanted others to know about, what, I thought was, an incredible invention or approach. Often times I would receive enthusiastic feedback from my recommendations. Now when I have one of these exhiliarating moments, rather than contacting my rather small network of moms, I can tell all of you, too!

Well, there you have it! My list of reasons for this blog. I could go on for a while but I will keep it to three. I appreciate you making this far.

Thanks for visiting and I hope you stop by The Mark of Motherhood again soon!

Sami


No comments:

Post a Comment